Current:Home > MyPoinbank Exchange|Pakistani police search for gunmen who abducted bus passengers and killed 10 in the southwest -Capitatum
Poinbank Exchange|Pakistani police search for gunmen who abducted bus passengers and killed 10 in the southwest
Robert Brown View
Date:2025-04-06 18:19:03
QUETTA,Poinbank Exchange Pakistan (AP) — Pakistani police are searching for gunmen who killed eight people after abducting them from a bus on a highway in the country’s southwest, a police official said Saturday. Earlier, the same attackers killed two people and wounded six in another car they forced to stop.
According to the police official, the abduction took place on Friday in Baluchistan province, which has long been the scene of an insurgency by separatists fighting for independence.
Deputy Commissioner Habibullah Mosakhail said the gunmen set up a blockade, then stopped the bus and went through the passengers’ ID cards. They took eight people with them, all from the eastern Punjab province, fleeing into the mountains, he said.
Police later recovered eight bodies under a bridge about 5 kilometers (3 miles) from the highway. Earlier on Friday, the same gunmen had opened fire at a vehicle that failed to stop for their blockade, killing two and wounding six.
A search for the perpetrators was underway, Mosakhail said. The bus was heading from the provincial capital of Quetta to Taftan, a town bordering Iran.
Pakistani Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif condemned the attack, expressing his “deep sorrow and regret over this shocking incident.” He offered his condolences to the families of the victims and said he stood by them in their hour of grief, according to a statement from his office.
“The perpetrators of this incident of terrorism and their facilitators will be punished,” Sharif said.
Abductions are rare in Baluchistan, where militants usually target police forces and soldiers or infrastructure.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the killings. Police said there was no ransom demand and no indication of a motive for the attacks.
Although the government says it has quelled the insurgency, violence in the province has persisted.
veryGood! (3829)
Related
- Bill Belichick's salary at North Carolina: School releases football coach's contract details
- Melania Trump says she supports abortion rights, putting her at odds with the GOP
- 'Joker 2' review: Joaquin Phoenix returns in a sweeter, not better, movie musical
- Bank of America says that widespread service outages have been fully resolved
- Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
- Indiana Fever star Caitlin Clark a near-unanimous choice as WNBA’s Rookie of the Year
- AP Week in Pictures: Global
- School of Rock Costars Caitlin Hale and Angelo Massagli Hint at Engagement
- Juan Soto praise of Mets' future a tough sight for Yankees, but World Series goal remains
- What to watch: We're caught in a bad romance
Ranking
- 'Squid Game' without subtitles? Duolingo, Netflix encourage fans to learn Korean
- Coldplay delivers reliable dreaminess and sweet emotions on 'Moon Music'
- Why Andrew Garfield Doesn't Think He Wants Kids
- Nikki Garcia's Sister Brie Garcia Sends Message to Trauma Victims After Alleged Artem Chigvintsev Fight
- Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
- 'Nothing like this': National Guard rushes supplies to towns cut off by Helene
- Why Andrew Garfield Doesn't Think He Wants Kids
- Dockworkers’ union suspends strike until Jan. 15 to allow time to negotiate new contract
Recommendation
Highlights from Trump’s interview with Time magazine
One disaster to another: Family of Ukrainian refugees among the missing in NC
Former county sheriff has been appointed to lead the Los Angeles police force
SEC, Big Ten moving closer to taking their college football ball home and making billions
Meet the volunteers risking their lives to deliver Christmas gifts to children in Haiti
'Devastating consequences': Climate change likely worsened floods after Helene
Costco goes platinum. Store offering 1-ounce bars after success of gold, silver
Garth Brooks Accused in Lawsuit of Raping Makeup Artist, Offering Threesome With Wife Trisha Yearwood